I’m going to try this again…I just wrote a post and the wifi here at McDonald’s is so weak that it dropped me and I lost everything before I could save it. We’re just going to head home and I’ll write it up so we can try to post again in the morning…(the next day) This post has been really hard to get up. I’ve lost it multiple times and then the pictures gave us fits. I think we finally got it all done!

We had our SDA appointment this morning. Niko picked us up and we met Serge there. He took us upstairs to a tiny room with a tiny couch and table. A lady (Masha maybe?) pulled out a huge notebook with packets of info on a bunch of kids and found Grace’s file. We were told she had a spinal hernia and hydropcephaly (which we knew) and that she had 2 other sisters without special needs who had already been adopted out. Her mother was a single mother and the girls had been taken from her by the state for neglect. When I asked for more info I was told we would get more later. We did get to see a picture of her as a baby (we were allowed to take a picture of it) and were given another picture of her at about 12-18 months. The second picture shows her standing with assistance and it was encouraging to see that they had been working with her since she was that young. The rest of the time we sat there watching the lady and Serge talk in Russian. I think our business was over and they were talking about other cases and a child they wanted to find a home for. For such an important meeting it was over very quickly with no questions for us. We were then lead back outside and Serge quickly went over our travel plans to get to our region and made sure we were ok before heading off. I get the feeling the man might never sleep, knows just about everyone and can get just about anything done that he wants. He’s a little intimidating and yet very reassuring at the same time. We were told to be back at the SDA tomorrow afternoon to pick up our referral for Grace before going to the train station. That piece of paper will be the first official link between us and Grace as far as the Ukrainian gov’t is concerned and gives us permission to meet her.

We also got to meet another RR parent today. Chris has been with his wife and daughter at the same orphanage and was just passing back through Kiev to finish up paperwork before heading back home. It was wonderful to see another American and to talk to a parent who is a couple weeks ahead of us in this process. We showed him parts of the city we found yesterday and he took us to a restaurant they’d found here. It was very good…and very slow. We literally waited 2 hours for our food. I’m guessing they had to raise the chicken before they could cook it, but apparently that’s how all the real sit-down restaurants are here. Thankfully we had great company and weren’t in a hurry. :)

I’m tired and we have a long day tomorrow so it’s time for bed. We won’t be posting anything tomorrow (other than this) because we’ll be on a 15 hour train ride out to our region. Lord willing, we will get to meet Grace either Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning!

Also, the last post had a comment from Sue and when I tried to reply to the email listed it bounced back as undeliverable. Sue, if you’re still reading could you send us another address? Thanks!

Bookmark and Share

Other Posts on this Subject: